I Forgot Something
Tonight Jack and I had some lively conversation while I was rocking him before bed. We went from monsters to space shuttles to hugs and kisses. He told me that "we have to be safe" and asked me to wrap my arms really tightly around him while we were rocking. I asked him what we were safe from and he said "monsters." Then he told me, as if he needed to remind himself, that there are no such things as monsters. I agreed but did caveat that with the fact that I do know of one monster- the Kissy Monster, who happens to be me. The Kissy Monster comes and kisses you when you least expect it. She will also nibble on your armpits if you so desire. Then Jack surprised me by saying "The Kissy Monster in Virginia." Yeah, she sure is! I was impressed that he's been paying attention.
Then we somehow got on the subject of the space shuttle (Atlantis). I told him that while he was sleeping last night, Daddy and I went outside and saw the space shuttle and space station fly over our house. I told him that they looked like stars. He asked if Granny and PawPaw were in the space shuttle when I told him that it lands in Florida. I told him they weren't and he laughed and said "No, that's silly." Then he did a splendid demonstration of the space shuttle's door closing and "1, 2, 3, 4 BLASTOFF" in which my hand acted as the space shuttle and my fingers (somewhat painfully) were the doors. Then he continued the flight into space, taking the "Spaceship Man" (my attempts to teach him 'Astronaut' were ineffective) through a tunnel of some sort, and then "down, down, down" past the arm of the rocking chair to Florida. I asked him if he wanted to be a Spaceship Man when he was older and he also assured me that this was a silly idea. By this time, Kyle had come upstairs to rescue me as he knew I had no chance of getting Jack to sleep with all of the lively talk. He told Jack that we would take him to see the space shuttle when he is older and Jack was very excited by that.
When I was leaving I called out "goodnight" behind me as I reached the door and Jack said, "Mommy, wait!" He then got a serious look on his face and said "I forgot something." I asked what he forgot and he replied, "I forgot wuvins and kisses." He forgot to give me my pre-bedtime hugs and kisses so called me back to bestow them upon me. That was really the best thing ever- him saying he "forgot something" in order to get me back in for some love. As I walked out the door he called out "Goodnight, Mommy. See you in the morning." Bright and early, I am sure.
Then we somehow got on the subject of the space shuttle (Atlantis). I told him that while he was sleeping last night, Daddy and I went outside and saw the space shuttle and space station fly over our house. I told him that they looked like stars. He asked if Granny and PawPaw were in the space shuttle when I told him that it lands in Florida. I told him they weren't and he laughed and said "No, that's silly." Then he did a splendid demonstration of the space shuttle's door closing and "1, 2, 3, 4 BLASTOFF" in which my hand acted as the space shuttle and my fingers (somewhat painfully) were the doors. Then he continued the flight into space, taking the "Spaceship Man" (my attempts to teach him 'Astronaut' were ineffective) through a tunnel of some sort, and then "down, down, down" past the arm of the rocking chair to Florida. I asked him if he wanted to be a Spaceship Man when he was older and he also assured me that this was a silly idea. By this time, Kyle had come upstairs to rescue me as he knew I had no chance of getting Jack to sleep with all of the lively talk. He told Jack that we would take him to see the space shuttle when he is older and Jack was very excited by that.
When I was leaving I called out "goodnight" behind me as I reached the door and Jack said, "Mommy, wait!" He then got a serious look on his face and said "I forgot something." I asked what he forgot and he replied, "I forgot wuvins and kisses." He forgot to give me my pre-bedtime hugs and kisses so called me back to bestow them upon me. That was really the best thing ever- him saying he "forgot something" in order to get me back in for some love. As I walked out the door he called out "Goodnight, Mommy. See you in the morning." Bright and early, I am sure.

1 Comments:
At 3:19 PM,
Anonymous said…
Our boys are so much alike! We've had very similar conversations lately.
Post a Comment
<< Home