Moments You Will Never Catch on Film
I have been musing about this topic for a long time now. As much of a camera freak as I am, and as much as we declare that this will be the most documented child in history, there are certain things that I just don't think I will ever catch on film.
One of my favorite non-camera moments is bedtime. Every night I put Jack to bed. I take him up to his room, put on his night time soothing lavendar lotion, put on his pjs, read him a story (we choose from Goodnight Moon, I Love You as Much, Guess How Much I Love You, and the Hungry Caterpillar), feed him, and lay him down. Often he fidgets because he isn't ready to go to bed or is just wound up, but once he calms down it's really a sweet time. Jack lays in my arms and drinks his bottle and I watch as his eyelids get heavier and heavier. His head is in the crook of my arm and he leans towards me so he can snuggle in. He usually ends up throwing an arm over his eyes, which cracks me up immensely. It's like he's winding down from a hard day. When he falls to sleep, I pick him up and lay him against my chest. He curls up into a little ball (which is quite a feat as he is over half my height) and nuzzles into my neck. We rock there for a few minutes and then I lay him down, say goodnight, and leave the room.
Another great time is the morning. He generally wakes up in the 5:00 hour, but isn't quite ready to get up for the day yet. So, we bring him into our room and feed him and let him sleep with us (it's the cause of me being late to work A LOT lately). When he wakes up an hour or two later, he always opens his eyes and looks THRILLED to see us. It's like he is amazed every morning that we are there and he thinks we are the coolest people on the planet. Then he starts crawling all over us and laughing while we mumble "just a few more minutes" and try to wake up ourselves.
The last that I can think of is bathtime. Jack outgrew his infant tub ages ago, so we instituted family baths. When he doesn't get a shower with us in the morning, he gets a bath at night. So, all three of us get in the jetted tub (thank goodness it's big!) and take a bath together. He splashes around, "swims," chases his toys, puts his lips in the water and makes gurgling noises (on purpose), and generally has a good time. I wouldn't mind taking a picture of that, but no one wants to see me or Kyle in the tub, so I refrain for everyone else's sake.
Just thought I would post this and mention that some of Jack's sweetest moments are the ones we can never catch on film. (Sorry, grandparents!)
One of my favorite non-camera moments is bedtime. Every night I put Jack to bed. I take him up to his room, put on his night time soothing lavendar lotion, put on his pjs, read him a story (we choose from Goodnight Moon, I Love You as Much, Guess How Much I Love You, and the Hungry Caterpillar), feed him, and lay him down. Often he fidgets because he isn't ready to go to bed or is just wound up, but once he calms down it's really a sweet time. Jack lays in my arms and drinks his bottle and I watch as his eyelids get heavier and heavier. His head is in the crook of my arm and he leans towards me so he can snuggle in. He usually ends up throwing an arm over his eyes, which cracks me up immensely. It's like he's winding down from a hard day. When he falls to sleep, I pick him up and lay him against my chest. He curls up into a little ball (which is quite a feat as he is over half my height) and nuzzles into my neck. We rock there for a few minutes and then I lay him down, say goodnight, and leave the room.
Another great time is the morning. He generally wakes up in the 5:00 hour, but isn't quite ready to get up for the day yet. So, we bring him into our room and feed him and let him sleep with us (it's the cause of me being late to work A LOT lately). When he wakes up an hour or two later, he always opens his eyes and looks THRILLED to see us. It's like he is amazed every morning that we are there and he thinks we are the coolest people on the planet. Then he starts crawling all over us and laughing while we mumble "just a few more minutes" and try to wake up ourselves.
The last that I can think of is bathtime. Jack outgrew his infant tub ages ago, so we instituted family baths. When he doesn't get a shower with us in the morning, he gets a bath at night. So, all three of us get in the jetted tub (thank goodness it's big!) and take a bath together. He splashes around, "swims," chases his toys, puts his lips in the water and makes gurgling noises (on purpose), and generally has a good time. I wouldn't mind taking a picture of that, but no one wants to see me or Kyle in the tub, so I refrain for everyone else's sake.
Just thought I would post this and mention that some of Jack's sweetest moments are the ones we can never catch on film. (Sorry, grandparents!)

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home