Everything I Need To Know, I Learned From Transformers
Last night The Boy and I were having our nightly ritual where I try to settle him into bed and he tries to talk my ear off in order to stay up longer. As always, the night's conversation did not disappoint. We somehow got into a conversation about meteors, with Jack asking me how big a tiny, tiny meteor would be. As I'm not an astronomer, I had to improvise and made a circle the size of a softball with my hands to demonstrate what a "tiny, tiny meteor" would look like. I then told him that a meteor could even be as big as me. He took the conversation from there:
Jack: "Or, it could be as big as Daddy! That would destroy the whole planet!"
Me: (laughing)
Jack: "Or there could be ten or eleven meteors and they could destroy our house... and Detroit."
Me: (more laughing)
Jack: "What's Detroit?"
Me: "It's a city. Where did you hear about Detroit?"
Jack: "From Transformers."
So, Geography via cartoon. Though it's not terribly effective, as he didn't even know Detroit was a place.
Jack: "Or, it could be as big as Daddy! That would destroy the whole planet!"
Me: (laughing)
Jack: "Or there could be ten or eleven meteors and they could destroy our house... and Detroit."
Me: (more laughing)
Jack: "What's Detroit?"
Me: "It's a city. Where did you hear about Detroit?"
Jack: "From Transformers."
So, Geography via cartoon. Though it's not terribly effective, as he didn't even know Detroit was a place.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home