The Adventures of Jack Jack

This is our boy. And this is our blog. Welcome to the adventure.

Friday, November 24

Happy Thanksgiving!

Thanksgiving went well, sans mashed potatoes and green bean casserole. I was up at about 7:00 making breakfast ("country eggs" as we call them- scrambled eggs with sauteed onions and potatoes) and prepping the rest of the food. Kyle handled the turkey and helped me peel the outer leaves from the Brussels sprouts. I made the veg-all casserole and brussels sprouts gratin so that everything was ready to just warm through while the turkey was resting.

Jack was excellent all morning, mostly ignoring me in the kitchen and giving his attention to Disney's Cars movie in the family room. Kyle put him down for a nap while I was in the shower. All was well until...

Jack woke up from his nap around 3:45. And he was mad. Angry. Furious, even. For no apparent reason! When I got him up he was crying. I needed to change his diaper and put clothes on (he was still in his jammies) and he told me "I don't like it" while crying. Then he claimed that his flu shot (the one from 3 weeks ago) hurt (his opposite leg, as usual) and wanted me to leave him alone. I finally managed to get him dressed and downstairs where he brooded and buried his face in my shoulder. I ate most of my Thanksgiving dinner with a whiny toddler on my lap who was refusing to speak to the friends we invited over.

I finally got tired of trying to coerce him into trying some food, so I offered to let him help me make whipped cream. He perked right up and ran into the kitchen screaming "STEP STOOL!" We went in and he helped me pour the cream in the mixer, add a little sugar, and watched while I put a dash of vanilla in. He watched in amazement when I turned on the mixer and laughed as droplets of whipping cream came flying out, hitting us in the faces and shirts.

When we were done, Jack went and sat in the high chair that we put in the dining room and excitedly waited for the result of his labor. A nice slice of pumpkin pie with homemade whipped cream. He gobbled it down, along with a few bites of turkey, cranberry sauce, and sweet potato casserole. I didn't push other veggies or stuffing on him, because I was just pleased that he wasn't being a complete poop any longer. He then entertained us with countless books and talking about lots of things that Ed and Janelle could only nod and say "yeah, tigers are great!", etc. about. He ate about a million olives from a tray on the coffee table and was pleasant the rest of the evening until Ed and Janelle left and he bid them a fond farewell from the front porch.

Dinner was a success and E & J swore that they didn't miss the potatoes at all. Ed (Mr. Culinary school) made the stuffing and gravy for us and only laughed a little and said "I think that was the plate" one time while Kyle was carving the turkey with our electric knife. We had good wine, good food, and a great time. In spite of the post-nap meltdown, we feel we have a lot to be thankful for.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home