The Adventures of Jack Jack

This is our boy. And this is our blog. Welcome to the adventure.

Sunday, July 30

"I You"

To me, parenting hasn't been As Seen on TV, unless you've been watching The Simpsons or Married With Children. No one can prepare you for what it's like to raise a child, or even what it's like to just share your life with them. Jack has always been a good kid, but not every day ends as gratifying as today.

Today was one of those days that makes you happy to be a parent. Today was one of those days where you think to yourself "maybe those people who have more than one kid aren't really crazy, maybe this whole parenting thing does get better." Of course, today is also that day that leads unsuspecting parents into believing that a second child is a fabulous idea. Not to worry, I took Brian's advice and wrote down all of Jack's baby moments for posterity.

The Boy was in an uncannily good mood today. Nary a whine nor fit. Nothing but sweet, unadulterated bliss. Sure, he wasn't really paying attention at Costco and launched himself off the bench and busted his lip on the floor, but he only cried for a second before declaring that he was still hungry ("huh-nee") and diving back into the hot dog he and I were sharing. Yeah, he cried before his nap because he was terribly tired, but he slept for FOUR HOURS which gave me time to go to work for 2 and come back to still find him sacked out. He ate well today, he didn't fight, he didn't scream about diaper changes, and he was just all around wonderful.

To boot, he's becoming a little human. Obviously, he's always been a person, but he's becoming someone with opinions who can express himself. The transformation is quite impressive. And he's learned a few new things just today that absolutely blow me away and melt my heart at the same time. For instance:

- This morning at breakfast I said "I love you" and he responded with "I You." Two litte words and he had me squeaking and ready to cry. This evening after dinner he said it to me again: "I You, I You." Best. Moment. Ever.

- He learned to say "Spicy." Tonight we went out to dinner with Clay & Heather and I ordered a Greek salad (feta, tomato, cucumbers, olives, pepperoncini, etc.). Jack decided that he wanted to try the pepperoncini after I had bitten it in half. I agreed to let him have a taste, but told him first "Be careful, it's spicy." He took a lick, screwed up his face and said "Spicy!" I gave him a drink of water and tried to take the pepper, but he insisted on keeping it. So, the circle continued with the biting, the screwing up of the face, the declaration of "Spicy!" and the gulps of water. He put it down after a while, but pointed to it later and reminded us that it was spicy.

- He can tell us when he hurts. He's been able to tell us when he's thirsty or hungry for some time, and that's been a blessing. However, over the last few weeks, he's been able to tell us when something is bothering him. Just this week he told Kyle "Pinch!" when he was putting him in the carseat because he didn't like the way the strap felt. And tonight, when I was putting him in bed, he wasn't quite ready to sleep and put his face flat on his pillow and said "hurt, hurt." I didn't understand until the second or third time he did it that it was his busted lip (see the Costco incident above) on the pillow that hurt him. I then assured him that laying on his side would feel much better. He conceded that I was right.

- He can tell us when he just needs love. We now get hugs just because and the rare, but treasured, spontaneous kiss. The kiss is the best, as it's so elusive, and so darned cute. It starts with a scampy look, the added lip pucker, and "mmmmmm" to let you know he wants a kiss. Tonight he wasn't ready to go to sleep when I layed him in bed so he said "Mommy" as I was getting ready to walk out, so I waited with him until he was sleepier. I said "you can just close your eyes and go to sleep" so he scrunched his face up with his eyes really tight and then peeked out at me. Every time he peeked I just said "I'm still here" and he closed his eyes again. He just wanted to make sure that I was there before he fell asleep.

So, I'm winding down from what has been a very pleasant day with Jack. He'll still be an only child, but with more days like today, he's assuring his slot in the Best Kid in the Universe finals. I You, too, little buddy.

2 Comments:

  • At 9:03 PM, Blogger K said…

    Great post! So sweet.

     
  • At 8:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I love you Vee!,
    Dad

     

Post a Comment

<< Home