The Adventures of Jack Jack

This is our boy. And this is our blog. Welcome to the adventure.

Monday, September 19

Playing Illness Roulette

It seems like our home has been a whirlwind of sickness lately. Ever since we brought our little carrier monkey to daycare, we've been more prone to illness. This time it started with Kyle having a benign sort of cough thing going on. Then Jack had a runny nose and weepy eyes (which Dr Sears says is a sure sign that something is up), but was generally good. Then I got the runny nose action and went home one day with a 102.6 fever and chills. Then I got the ear infection. Seriously, what kind of adult gets an ear infection? I don't think I've had anything like that since I was 8 years old! I woke up last Sunday morning and my ear, jaw, and even teeth hurt so badly that I thought I would die. Since Kyle was working I was required to bring Jack to Urgent Care for the lovely two hour visit. Lucky for me the kid is an angel and we had no problems hanging out together.

This past Saturday I was at work and Kyle brought Jack to visit. He was warm and flushed and generally subdued so I asked if anything was wrong. Kyle assured me that the keed was fine, so I let it go. That night we went to get his hair cut and he was so completely distraught about it that I knew something was up. When we got home I took his temperature (rectally, poor thing) and it was 102.6 degrees. So, off to the pediatrician night clinic. Fortunately, things were running really quickly so we only spent about an hour there. The boy's ears were so waxy that the doc had to clean one out to get a good look at the eardrum. He screamed and flailed as if she were using a soldering iron to do it. He really hates having his ears touched. She got a look, confirmed an ear infection, and wrote a prescription for amoxicillin.

Sunday was fairly sad, as Jack just wanted to lay on me and let me dose him with Tylenol. (Secretly I was pleased to get that much love from the boy in one day.) His temperature ranged from 100 to 102.something and I tried to keep him cool with washcloths and a lukewarm bath (more banshee-like screaming for that). Today Kyle stayed home with him and he was in much better spirits. Still a little warm (99 degrees) but that's good- he's fighting the infection. They met me for lunch (I brought Clay and Kim along) and we all played together tonight when I got home. Jack has learned about wrestling from daddy and it's oh-so-fun, though Jack has decided that I am not good at it and he always crawls by me in order to get to WWF-Daddy.

Glad the boy is feeling better at least. I'll be even happier when the wheel of sickness stops spinning.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home