The Favorite
Jack has really been going through a Daddy phase over the past few weeks. I've blogged here before about his preference of Kyle as the nighttime routine person, but he's been absolutely insistent that Kyle take him to bed for probably the last two weeks. Tonight I finally decided to brave taking him upstairs while he reached out for Kyle, telling me "I don't want you! I want Daddy!" (something I assure you breaks my heart into a billion pieces).
I trudged up the stairs with my weeping boy and settled into the rocking chair in his room. He promptly forbade me from rocking and told me "I want Daddy rock me." I told him that Daddy wasn't coming upstairs and he responded hopefully, "Daddy coming in two minutes." I told him to just lay down and relax and that we would wait and see.
He agreed to allow me to rock him and rub his back, and we just snuggled like that for a while. He turned his face, which was resting on my shoulder, to face me and said "I want to turn light on. I can't see you." He reached out and grabbed my ear and I said, "I can see you- you're holding my ear," which cracked him up immensely. He then started rubbing my hair and swept it from one side of my head to the other in what undoubtedly looked like a horrible comb-over and then said "It's byu-ful." I was tickled that he thought my new hairdo was lovely and thanked him for it. He then complained about the pieces of hair in my eyes (which he had put there) so I fixed my hair so he didn't have to worry about my vision.
I put him into his bed and he was still in denial about Kyle not coming up. He said, "I want Daddy rub my back" and then asked pitifully, "please, please." Again I repeated that Kyle wasn't coming up, and continued to rub his back and his head, which Kyle does every night. He said "I want Daddy rub my head," a little calmer this time because he was getting sleepy. But then he said, "My feelings hurt," and I decided it was time to call for backup. Kyle came upstairs to the joyful sound of "he's coming!" from Jack and finished the task of rubbing Jack's back and getting him to settle down to sleep. At least one of us is in favor these days. Plus, the extra time at night has been really good for re-reading my Harry Potter books before bed. That's good, right?
I trudged up the stairs with my weeping boy and settled into the rocking chair in his room. He promptly forbade me from rocking and told me "I want Daddy rock me." I told him that Daddy wasn't coming upstairs and he responded hopefully, "Daddy coming in two minutes." I told him to just lay down and relax and that we would wait and see.
He agreed to allow me to rock him and rub his back, and we just snuggled like that for a while. He turned his face, which was resting on my shoulder, to face me and said "I want to turn light on. I can't see you." He reached out and grabbed my ear and I said, "I can see you- you're holding my ear," which cracked him up immensely. He then started rubbing my hair and swept it from one side of my head to the other in what undoubtedly looked like a horrible comb-over and then said "It's byu-ful." I was tickled that he thought my new hairdo was lovely and thanked him for it. He then complained about the pieces of hair in my eyes (which he had put there) so I fixed my hair so he didn't have to worry about my vision.
I put him into his bed and he was still in denial about Kyle not coming up. He said, "I want Daddy rub my back" and then asked pitifully, "please, please." Again I repeated that Kyle wasn't coming up, and continued to rub his back and his head, which Kyle does every night. He said "I want Daddy rub my head," a little calmer this time because he was getting sleepy. But then he said, "My feelings hurt," and I decided it was time to call for backup. Kyle came upstairs to the joyful sound of "he's coming!" from Jack and finished the task of rubbing Jack's back and getting him to settle down to sleep. At least one of us is in favor these days. Plus, the extra time at night has been really good for re-reading my Harry Potter books before bed. That's good, right?
Labels: Bedtime

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home