The Adventures of Jack Jack

This is our boy. And this is our blog. Welcome to the adventure.

Thursday, September 7

It's Potty Time

Tonight I was changing Jack before bed on the changing table in our living room. When I pulled back the front of the diaper I saw that Jack was, pitching a tent, so to speak (you can thank Kyle for the tent phrase). So, I said "ack!" and slammed the diaper back down quickly, as this is a sure sign that he needs to pee. I waited a few moments, pulled it back and his penis was still standing there waving. So, back down the diaper went. I waited another 20 seconds or so and when nothing happened I decided that I would take him to the bathroom.

Kyle went and prepped the toilet and I took him in and put him on the "potty" which is just a small ring with a cushioned seat that we put on our toilet so his little butt fits on it. I told him to just relax and pee and lo and behold, he did! He peed just for a second and then we clapped and cheered and acted like he'd cured cancer. He was very excited about it, so was then trying to pee by squeezing, so that didn't work so well. We told him to relax again, and again he peed just a little. He thought that all of the fanfare was amusing indeed and couldn't help himself from grinning and giggling about it. Then, he tried to push the pee out and ended up farting, at which point he doubled over and started belly-laughing like I'd never seen him do. Kyle actually wondered aloud how in the heck Jack knew to laugh at that and came to the conclusion that, "It's the universal rule- farts are funny."

Indeed.

So, Jack relaxed, peed a few more times (usually hitting the seat more than the water below) and watched me wipe off the seat. He then took a square of toilet paper for himself to help wipe up the seat. When he finished wiping, he didn't know what to do with the paper and tried to put it back on the roll so I had to explain that he should put the paper in the toilet where I had been putting it. But, it was hilarious to see him try to lay it back on the roll with no remorse. We finished up, flushed, washed our hands, put his diaper on, and offered him an M&M (which he gladly accepted) as a reward for peeing on the potty. It was funny and exciting and so grown, but since he's only one year old, there is absolutely no pressure to continue. That's the great thing about it. He had a good time, knows the potty isn't scary, and doesn't need to see it again for 6 months if he isn't interested. Good times.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home