Jack's Birthday!
Well, we checked into the Winchester Medical Center last night at 7:00 pm. This was after coming to the hospital at 4:00 at my doctor's suggestion and having the labor and delivery nurses assure me that I was NOT in labor and that I would be going home. I was 3cm dilated when we arrived and having wicked contractions. Maybe it was because I was still smiling and chatty, or maybe it was because the contractions were only 20 seconds long (thank God!) that they didn't think I was in real labor. So... they told me I could go home or I could walk around the hospital for an hour and come back to have my progress checked. Kyle and I chose the latter and started walking. We hadn't had any dinner at this point so we decided to stop at the hospital cafeteria for some food. Bad idea. For my meal, I chose a chili dog with mustard. Decidedly worse idea. When we went back at 7pm, I was 4cm and they decided that maybe I was right and was in labor (I was thinking, DUH!) and admitted me. The doctor asked if I planned to get an epidural. I said "Yes" and followed that with "Now is good."
The nurses were all very pleasant, though need to practice their IV skills a little more. After 3 failed attempts by 3 nurses, they decided to let the anesthesiologist do my IV when he came. He chuckled that he could see my veins from across the room and put in an IV with ease. He then gave me the epidural and I was shaking uncontrollably like the proverbial leaf. I literally couldn't stop, no matter how much they assured me it wouldn't hurt. Turns out that it didn't hurt too much, though Kyle said I made some faces that looked pretty painful from across the room. The anesthesiologist made him wait across the room and he knew why when he saw him pull the giant needle out of his kit. He decided it was best not to watch and instead focused on my face.
The night was spent dozing and waking for more medication, a little bit of throwing up and such, but was overall not too bad. In the morning I was 8 cm and the doctors changed shifts. By 9:00 am I was almost 10 cm, but my body was stalling, so they gave me pitossin to speed things up. By 10:00 I was ready to push and my epidural was wearing off fast. The doctor said that it should take me about two hours to push. 15 minutes into it, I was VERY certain that I couldn't push for two hours. So... I tried harder. Jack McCune Wallace was born at 11:01 on November 6th, 2004. He weighed in at a hefty 8 pounds, 6 ounces and was 21.5 inches long.
The nurses were all very pleasant, though need to practice their IV skills a little more. After 3 failed attempts by 3 nurses, they decided to let the anesthesiologist do my IV when he came. He chuckled that he could see my veins from across the room and put in an IV with ease. He then gave me the epidural and I was shaking uncontrollably like the proverbial leaf. I literally couldn't stop, no matter how much they assured me it wouldn't hurt. Turns out that it didn't hurt too much, though Kyle said I made some faces that looked pretty painful from across the room. The anesthesiologist made him wait across the room and he knew why when he saw him pull the giant needle out of his kit. He decided it was best not to watch and instead focused on my face.
The night was spent dozing and waking for more medication, a little bit of throwing up and such, but was overall not too bad. In the morning I was 8 cm and the doctors changed shifts. By 9:00 am I was almost 10 cm, but my body was stalling, so they gave me pitossin to speed things up. By 10:00 I was ready to push and my epidural was wearing off fast. The doctor said that it should take me about two hours to push. 15 minutes into it, I was VERY certain that I couldn't push for two hours. So... I tried harder. Jack McCune Wallace was born at 11:01 on November 6th, 2004. He weighed in at a hefty 8 pounds, 6 ounces and was 21.5 inches long.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home